Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Past life = victorian era? list of great movies to watch :)

    Well thought I'd share a little more about myself, I secretly love..love..LOVE Victorian era movies. Might just be that I have a thing for history cuz I'm a nerd like that lol but I swear I must have lived in that era in like a past life or something haha. It's amazing to see how different life was back then, then it is compared to now a days. Sooo.. I figured I'll make a list of the top movies that kept me glued to the screen and not even wanting to leave for a washroom break lmao.( NOTE: these movies are all in full versions on YouTube, so if you haven't yet.. then start watching some of these!)

  • Emma by Jane Austen. (Newer movie version) I think they did a good job of picking the actors and actresses for this particular movie,  I literally didn't want to get up from my seat when I watched this. The story line just makes you wanna keep watching the entire movie till the end. The ending is sooo good, me as a girl I felt all smiley just watching it. It's about a girl Emma Woodhouse , she's from a wealthier family and she lives alone with her father. She thinks she's really good at matchmaking and setting people up but to her surprise she was completely wrong. When setting up a close friend of hers (Harriet) ...the guy she set her friend up with (Mr.Elton) falls in love with Emma instead! Harriet of course gets all broken hearted. Emma and Mr.Knightley(old friend of hers) end up falling in love with each other. Def. a must see!
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I absolutely hands down love this movie, I could watch it over and over and not get bored. I have to say by far the best story line in my opinion. There's I believe a BBC version and a new one with Keira Knightely, their both good but I prefer the BBC overall. This is probably a movie that's a must to watch if you haven't yet. It's about a young woman Elizabeth Bennet and her family who are country folk you could say. Mr.Darcy and his friend happen to get a house in her neighbourhood, his friend falls in love with Elizabeth's sister and things take a weird twist when Mr.Darcy starts falling in love with Elizabeth who's of a lower class then him. It's like watching a love hate relationship but things turn out for the best. Really shows how different the living situations were back then, how they had their different wealth status, how they went around with dealings of love and proposals.
  • Jane Eyre(2011). I wasn't a huge fan of this one since it by far was one of the movies with a strange secret involved that was kinda creepy. It's about Jane's life and her going and working as a governess to a man that's really harsh. They end up falling in love but he has a secret that he keeps hidden in a different wing of the estate. She finds out and can't handle it all so she runs away, when she comes back she finds the place burnt down...but relax he's alive but got injured in the accident. Definitely watch it and let me know how twisted you thought it was cuz I know it was a total wtf why would someone do that moment (on the guys behalf lol)
  • Tess of the D'urbervilles (2008). This movie is basically about the struggles of Tess who's from a very poor family. She finds out that she apparently has relatives in the wealthier classes so she sets out to meet them and hopefully ask for help. What her family doesn't know is that their not true D'urbervilles, they were just using the last name for weird shady reasons. Tess ends up having personal struggles with Angel (the apparent wealthy cousin), he ends up raping her :(  I felt soo bad for her during the whole movie and how much she had to struggle but she does end up falling in love...which also has some twists that really sucked but in the end she finally ends up with the right guy. I would watch it if you like seeing how the different classes were and how hard people actually had to work back to just simply live.
  • Daniel Deronda(2002). This is another movie where I felt really sorry for the main character and the hardships she had to endure. Its the same actress from the Emma movies as well! Basically about the lives of both Daniel Deronda and Gwendolen. It's about Daniels journey in finding who he is and where he came from as he was adopted at a young age. Then Gwendolen has a thing for Daniel but he somehow disappears a lot from her life? lol so she settles for a man that's rich (Henleigh). That's where she made the mistake, he's a complete control freak :S That's where I felt soo bad for her and how she got treated. He ends up passing away...Yay! haha and she thinks she finally has Daniel but nope... he marries another woman who he met in the process of finding his past out.
Wow this list is gonna be longer then I thought :S
To cut it short these are some of the others I've seen that I'll prob end up making a part 2 to this post.
The Young Victoria(2009), Wives and Daughters(1999), The way we live now(2001), North and South(2004), Persuasion(2007)...etc.

I've watched way more movies then that but this page would be completely filled with a never ending list, those are just a few that I've enjoyed watching, If you guys have any faves that I might not have watched just yet then pleasssee leave me a comment and let me know which ones you've watched, thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment